Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Quick gluten free cookies



If you are anything like me... When you want a cookie, you aren't willing to wait 3 days so you can go to 3 different stores to buy 6 different kinds of gluten free flour. Not to mention the cost and the fact that I'm not sure if I'll ever use the rest of that teff flour. Maybe I'm a bad celiac.

I want them quick. I want it all sitting in my cupboard. And I want it to taste good.

Here are my 2 favorite "recipes" for quick yummy gluten free cookies. It's a "recipe" because you get to use a premade mix as the base for both! And as will always be true, you can use the egg and butter subs I blogged about for any recipe.

Snicker doodles.

Go grab yourself one of the Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mixes from Walmart. Preheat your oven to 350. Mix up that mix with:
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
Roll little balls of dough in cinnamon sugar and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Flatten them out a little- not a lot- they flatten out a bit in the oven. 10 minutes later... Yum. Easy freaking squeezy.

In the mood for some chocolate?

Gluten free Oreos.

Yes friends. Do this now. You won't regret it. I just did and Lorelai wouldn't keep her hands away... Ate batter and then unfrosted cookies and then more frosted cookies. I'm such a good mom............ She'll eat spinach tomorrow.

I start with a bob's red mill short bread cookie mix. Preheat to 375. Add:
1 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup milk- I used almond milk
1 and 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) softened unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Grease that sheet and lets go. You're about to make 3 dozen oreos. Ok now these cookies puff up. And if you want crunchy shortbread cookies like Oreos you need to flatten these suckers out. I tried a few and realized I needed to make them flatter. All though I kind of like the puffy softer variety as well. Up to you. Bake for about 8-10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to await frosting.

Ok let's talk for a minute. We're about to get to the part where some people might say- what?! How much crisco?! The creme filling...

Personally, I feel like my allergies force me to eat healthier than I would otherwise. I can't have pop tarts and cheese it's and wonder bread. I cannot eat from a drive thru. So when it comes to dessert, I will eat whatever I want, whenever I want it, and I won't think twice about how much crisco it takes to make it so fah-reaking delicious. I hope you share my passion for all things sweet. If not, try replacing it with peanut butter. ;)

For the Oreo cream:
1/2 cup plain crisco
6 tsp unsalted butter
3 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Yikes. I know. You could always share with your neighbors. The ones 2 miles away. Just jog them over. See? Now everybody's happy. :)
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment