Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chocolate gluten free waffles and toffee sauce

One of the first things I discovered upon becoming a celiac was that plain pancakes just weren't great. Tried a million mixes and recipes. Bleh. And since I made a big breakfast for my family every sat morning- I found this very depressing. Until I realized -duh!- chocolate fixes everything.

I start out with the simply organic pancake and waffle mix (gluten free).
1 cup mix
1 large egg or egg substitute
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup brown sugar
About 2/3 cup of milk (try using chocolate coconut milk... Oh buddy. But I also often use vanilla almond)

The amount of milk will depend on elevation. You want it to be pourable but batter-like (like regular pancake batter would be).

Butter a waffle iron (so it doesn't stick) and pour it on.

Toffee sauce:
1/3 a stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup milk (I use vanilla almond or soy milk)

Just throw that in the microwave for about a minute. Obnoxiously easy and super addicting.

Add some strawberries and whipped cream if you are feeling extra fancy ;)
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment