Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"so what CAN you eat?"














So I've been sick. Emergency room visits (yes multiple) and doctors visits and no answers. I lost weight. Then more. Then I was 20 lbs lighter than I was in high school and barely holding onto my triple digits. Then I found dr Vance and he listened to me. He let me tell him my whole story not just the most recent problem. He made me feel like there was an answer to my problem and that he would find it. And he did! My body hates food. Which is sad because my mouth loves it.

Ha ha ok so I am allergic to wheat, gluten, dairy in general, citrus fruits and beef. And yes I am being serious. Allergic. The wheat allergy is the most violent but all of those are also very bad and there are some others that it would be better if i avoided. So my body was screaming at me to stop poisoning it but I didn't even know I was doing it. Anyway there is a lot to think about. A lot to change and figure out. But it's really nice to have an answer and I am really excited to feel healthy again. I just have to figure out what i CAN eat. Any tips?
Xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Katie! That's awful, I'm so sorry!! I did a project last semester packaging Bob's Red Mill products! They're sold in a lot of places! And they have a whole line devoted to gluten-free products!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUSHI!
    And talk to Gillian Turek. I happen to know she's got some great recipes for gluten free stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate...that sucks, we have made the switch to gf the last few months. Check out my blog WWW.jeremyandcassiefoster.blogspot.com and call me there are tons of tips I have for you. Also, you dont have to give up your cupcakes go to WWW.sweetcakebakeshop.com they have the best cupcakes I've ever eaten. And they will over night them to you from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also make sure you get a library card, I'm gonna give you a list of books to get when you call me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not supposed to eat dairy, beef, or wheat either. Dairy and beef are the easiest to live without. Dairy-less substitutes are quite plentiful and I eat chicken, fish, beans, or legumes instead of beef and I never feel deprived. Wheat on the other hand is tough. You'll probably feel sort of empty at first, at least I did. The hardest thing for me was not having that full feeling that bread gives you. Health food stores sell a lot of gluten free foods but they're more pricey. I eat a lot of rice. Rice cereal is easy to find, rice/quinao pastas are too. This is the one I always slip up on because there is wheat in everything. And when we travel there is no way to get everything I need so basically I have to resign to being sick most of the time. And this may not help you, but exercise really helps my digestion. It's like night and day when I do it regularly. You'll figure out what works for you eventually. I'm sorry about this. It's not something I'd wish on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay!! You found an answer! Maybe not the answer you wanted, but an answer! Good luck figuring out your new diet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, step over to my blog( livingbodyspiritandsoul.com) and then email - I'll more then help you out. You by far don't need to do 'raw' , but you can cook your 'raw versions' of meat, make awesome nut milks/cheeses ( for PENNIES, not $$$ as if you buy it in the store) , etc.

    And wheat is a peace of cake to substitute! Try spelt for one ( spelt flour is everywhere in Provo, and whole foods too, just more expensive) , but you can buy spelt bread there. Taste - not much different, but your body will thank you. :)

    when you get back to Provo ( you are, if I remember right, correct?), you are welcome to use my 300+ library of health books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Katie! :(( At least you're GREAT at being creative so I know you'll do something amazing with the things you can eat! :)

    ReplyDelete